Sleeping on 100% linen is an experience that no one person can fully convey to another. It's one of those things you simply must try for yourself in order to get the full, luxurious, now-I-understand-the-meaning-of-life experience.
Photo credit: SDH Fine European Linens
People tend to shy away from purchasing linen bedding for two main reasons: price and wrinkles. So let's just address these two objections head on, shall we?
Regarding price, gosh, where to start? Linen comes from the flax plant, and cultivation of these crops is extremely expensive; it's more difficult to spin, and there are many labor-intensive stages to the production process. It's an investment, plain and simple. (More on that later). Regarding wrinkles, yes, it's a fact. But that's part of its charming personality. A quick fold out of the dryer and into the linen closet (or right back on the bed!) and they're good to go. If you do iron them, rest assured they iron easily, and in fact their lustrous shine returns even more beautifully.
So unless you're 100% committed to the snappy feel of crisp percale, here are a few reasons why you should give linen a chance. We're betting once you do, you'll kick yourself for all the years you haven't slept on this impossibly yummy fabric.
1) Linen is highly absorbent. Due to its molecular structure, linen can can absorb up to 20% of its weight in moisture before ever feeling damp! It allows more airflow and is therefore less likely to cling to the skin. Water (perspiration) is absorbed and wicked away from the skin, then quickly evaporates. No clammy sheets here!
2) Linen is temperature-regulating. Whether a hot and muggy summer night or biting cold winter morning, linen's got you covered. It regulates the skin-air heat exchange like no other fabric.
3) Linen gets softer with each wash. Because of it's unique properties, linen gets softer, shinier, and just more all-around scrumptious with each wash.
Image credit: Decoholic
4) It's hypo-allergenic. Due to its remarkable (dare we say magical?) properties, linen sheets are a wonderful option for those with skin disorders or sensitivities, and creates a lovely, healthy microclimate for the skin.
5) A brilliant environmental choice. Virtually all parts of the flax plant are used in the harvesting process, leaving no footprint. Also, it's a renewable resource, needing very little irrigation when grown, and is minimally processed. And being made from a 100% natural fibers, it's also biodegradable.
6) It's got serious muscles! Linen is substantially stronger than cotton. I mean, get a load of those beefy flax bundles below! Its tough-guy durability translates into linen sheets lasting (and not just lasting, but lasting in good condition) for many years. This is precisely why you'll often hear linen bedding spoken of in terms of an investment. If properly cared for, it can literally last decades.
7) Away, critters! Linen is resistant to bacteria, fungus, dust mites, and is naturally insect repellent.
8) It's lint free and dirt repellent..
9) It's anti-static.
10) It's soooooo comfortable.
Image credit: Apartment Therapy
11) It's got a cool history. It's what the Romans used for togas, and Pharaohs wore for their tunics. One of the oldest known fibers, linen as an industry was established by the ancient Egyptians. King Tut liked it so much, his linen curtains were buried with him, and found in beautiful condition when his tomb was opened in 1922. Talk about sustainability!
Photo credit: Leitner Leinen
12) Free massage. Because of the microscopic "breaks" throughout the textured fabric, linen gives you a bit of a light massage as you sleep. (And you don't have to tip anyone afterward!)
The next time you're in one of our stores, feel free to touch, feel, and/or heavily fondle our samples of washed linen. We're pretty sure you'll fall madly in love.
Til next time, sogni d'oro!